DAR logo
      


Hannah Caldwell Chapter DAR
Davenport, Iowa

Organized January 18, 1897


Home DAR Objectives Historical Chapter
Information
Past Regents Past State Regents Chapter
Patriots
Historic Markers
National Society DAR Iowa Society DAR How do I become a member?


Historic Markers

Welcome to the tour of the Historic Markers that have been placed by the Hannah Caldwell Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, Davenport, Iowa

The Hannah Caldwell Chapter, organized on January 18, 1897, has worked actively throughout its history toward historic preservation. In 1903 chapter members began planning and making preparations to mark sites in our community worthy of historic recognition. It took 14 years of preparation before the first marker was dedicated. Hannah Caldwell is proud of its tradition of preserving local history in keeping with the DAR objectives.

Battle of Credit Island
Blackhawk Treaty
Camp McClellan
Camp Roberts
First Bridge
First White Settlers
German/American Heritage Flag Pole
Grand Allee
Marion Crandall
Phoebe Sudlow



BATTLE OF CREDIT ISLAND

Major Zachary Taylor led the United States troops in boats from the river.  The Sac and Fox Indians were under a British Lieutenant, and the Sioux and Winnebago Indians were under Chief Black Hawk on the Iowa side of the river.  This was the only "international" conflict that ever occurred in Iowa, and the only battle Zachary Taylor ever lost.

Originally this marker was placed at the entrance of the Island.  It now stands on the west side of the island beside carved wooden figures titled "Sunday in the Park."  This scene was modeled after the painting "A Sunday on La Grande Jatte" by Georges Seurat.  It is fitting that our marker has been moved and included as a part of this prominent point of interest.marker -- Credit Island

Credit Island is on the west edge of Davenport, surrounded by the Mississippi River.  The inscription reads: 

Credit Island.  Here was located one of the earliest posts for trading with the Indians established west of the Mississippi River.  The battle of Credit Island was fought August 21, 1814 between troops of the United States and Great Britain.
Erected by Hannah Caldwell Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1928.

BLACKHAWK TREATY

marker -- Blackhawk
                          PurchaseThe Blackhawk Treaty commemoration is in LeClaire Park, near the beautiful Davenport riverfront.  The Black Hawk Treaty gave the United States 30 million acres of land constituting what is now eastern Iowa.  The treaty was signed in General Scott's tent, which was pitched on the present East 5th Street between Farnam and LeClaire streets.

The inscription on the marker reads:

To commemorate the Black Hawk Purchase Treaty, Signed by Major General Winfield Scott and Honorable John Reynolds for the United States and by Chiefs Keokuk and Waupello for the Sac and Fox Indians at Davenport, Iowa, September 21, 1832
Erected by Hannah Caldwell Chapter DAR  1917

CAMP McCLELLAN

In the Village of East Davenport going east on 12th Street, and just past Jersey Ridge Road, is the beautiful Lindsay Park overlooking the Camp McClellan markerbanks of the Mississippi River.  This was the site of Camp McClellan, one of five Civil War camps in and around the city between 1860-1865.

The Marker reads:

Here was located a military camp during the Civil War at which were trained more than half of the recruits from Iowa.  In 1862 several hundred Sioux Indians were imprisoned here following the Minnesota massacre. 
Erected by Hannah Caldwell Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1928.

CAMP ROBERTS - ANNIE WITTENMYER HOMECamp Roberts

The Civil War had a great impact on this area.  At  2800 Eastern Avenue,  across from Oakdale Cemetery,  is another Civil War site, Camp Roberts.  In May of 1863, General Roberts became the Commander for the Iowa District with headquarters in Davenport.  General Roberts selected this site as a "temporary" camp for the 8th and 9th Calvary.  Later the camp was renamed after Colonel Kinsman, a much loved and courageous leader who lost his life at Vicksburg while leading a valiant charge.

On November 22, 1865 Annie Wittenmyer confiscated these abandon buildings by moving in 180 war orphans while permission for such a move was still being debated in Washington, D.C.  Due to the extravagant design of the camp and the determination of Miss Wittenmyer, the Home became the prototype for orphanages throughout the United States and was later renamed in her honor.

A limestone marker was placed to mark the site of Camp Roberts at the Annie Wittenmyer Home.

The inscription reads:

Site of Camp Roberts during the Civil War, Dedicated by Hannah Caldwell Chapter DAR  1929.

Camp
                            Roberts markerThis marker was being eroded due to the weather.  In 1996 as an Iowa Sesquicentennial Project, the Hannah Caldwell Chapter updated the history, re-dedicating this site with a new stone and plaque, which reads:

Site of Civil War Camp Roberts, Later Camp Kinsman
Became the Iowa Soldiers' Orphans' Home in 1865
Renamed Iowa Annie Wittenmyer Home in 1951.
Dedicated by Hannah Caldwell Chapter DAR 1996
WESTERN ABUTMENT OF FIRST BRIDGE ACROSS MISSISSIPPI RIVER

marker -- First BridgeAlong the north side of River Drive at the intersection of East Fourth St. is the marker commemorating  the western abutment of the first bridge across the Mississippi River, joining the railroads in Davenport. 

The river, not land, had been the main method of transportation.  Rivermen looked at this obstruction placed in their river as a danger, and in fact in 1856, the steamboat "Effie Afton" met her demise when she struck a pier and burned just two weeks after the opening of the bridge.  The Railroad Bridge Company was successfully defended by Abraham Lincoln in the lawsuit filed by the owners of the steamboat.

The inscription of this marker reads:

This boulder marks the site of the western abutment of the first bridge across the Mississippi River built in 1853-55. 
Erected by Hannah Caldwell Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution  1928.

Beside our marker is a replica of the Bridge abutment which was placed by the Scott County Historical society in 1956.

HOME OF RIVERBOAT CAPTAINS; FIRST WHITE SETTLERS IN SCOTT CO.

At the west edge of Buffalo on the north side of highway 22 is a most unusual boulder marking the home of the riverboat captains, the first white settlers in Scott County, Iowa.

two markers

The first inscription reads:

On this site lived and died Captain W.L. Clark who in 1833 with his father Captain Ben. W. Clark were the first white settlers in Scott county, Iowa  1822-1911

And on the second plaque:

Marked by Warren L. Clark. 
Dedicated by Hannah Caldwell Chapter DAR 1930
GERMAN AMERICAN HERITAGE CENTER
FLAG POLE

The German American Heritage Center is located at the foot of Gaines, across from the YMCA, and just before the Centennial Bridge.  On August 6, 2002, the Hannah Caldwell Chapter dedicated the flag pole.

GRAND ALLEE OF TREES - VANDERVEER PARK

VanderVeer Park is located at Central Park and Main Street.   In 1904 Hannah Caldwell Chapter NSDAR planted an Osage orange tree here.  It was grown from a seed planted at the time the cornerstone of Centennial Hall was laid in Washington, D.C.  The soil came from the site of Centennial Hall.  This tree was cut down a number of years ago. 

The Friends of VanderVeer Park have developed plans to restore this beautiful landmark to its former splendor.  A Grand Allee of 100 trees has been planted extending south from the Rose Garden to the Fountain.  Hannah Caldwell Chapter was a part of this worthwhile community project.

MARION CRANDELL MEMORIALMarion Crandell
                          marker

In the Annie Wittenmyer Circle, 2800 Eastern,  is the Marion Crandell Memorial.  Miss Crandall was born in Cedar Rapids and spent time teaching in Davenport.

The inscription reads:

Memorial to Miss Marion Crandall, the first American Woman to die in active service in World War I.  Marion Crandall was killed March 27, 1918 at St. Menehould.  She was buried in a French military cemetery.  Miss Crandall came to Davenport in 1916 as a teacher at St. Katherine's School. 
Erected in cooperation with the Iowa State Historical Society. November 1, 1979
PHOEBE W. SUDLOW

Miss Sudlow came to Davenport as a teacher in 1858.  In 1872 she became the first woman high school principal in the United States.

In 1877 Miss Sudlow was elected president of the Iowa State Teacher's Association and the followingPhoebe
                            Sudlow marker year accepted a professorship at the University of Iowa. 

Sudlow Intermediate School is located at 1414 East Locust Street and Esplanade Ave.  Entering the large hall from Pleasant Street side, the Phoebe W. Sudlow plaque is on the wall to your left.  

It reads:

Phoebe W. Sudlow,  1831-1922, Superintendent Davenport Public Schools 1874-78  First woman City Superintendent of Public Schools in the United States. 
Erected by Hannah Caldwell Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1936.