DAR logo
      


Council Bluffs Chapter DAR
Council Bluffs, Iowa


Home Join DAR Chapter Meetings Chapter Officers Chapter History Chapter
Patriots
Real Daughters
Iowa Society DAR National Society DAR Contact Us


Chapter History

The Council Bluffs Chapter, NSDAR, was organized on June 26, 1897, only seven years after the NSDAR was organized and six years after the Iowa DAR was organized. The chapter was the fourth chapter in Iowa to be organized.  There were twelve charter members lead by Regent Isabel Patterson Entyre.  The chapter celebrated its 100th birthday in June 1997.

In the early years of the chapter, Ms. Sophie Bushnell, who was a past Council Bluffs regent and NSDAR Vice President General, was involved in the volunteer efforts for the Hospital Corps of Nurses who saw service during the Spanish-American war. 

The Council Bluffs Chapter established a Children of the American Revolution Society in 1960.

The Council Bluffs Chapter celebrates the following honored Daughters:

Sophie Bushnell (Mrs. Drayton W.)
Past Honorary Vice President General, NSDAR
Mable Pratt Schoentge (Mrs. Edward P.) Past Vice President General, NSDAR
Flora Sanders (Mrs. C.E.) State Regent, 1926 - 1928
Honorary State Regent
Ione Swanson (Mrs. Charles G.) State Regent, 1954 - 1955
Honorary State Regent
Dione Norris (Mrs. Bruce) State Regent, 1996-1998
Honorary State Regent
Sharon Braden (Mrs. James) State Regent, 2014-2016

Object Preservation

The Council Bluffs Chapter has a rich history of donating objects to the Iowa and National DAR.
state
                        regents pin In 1918, Mrs. Sophie Bushnell, Past Honorary Vice President General,  presented the Iowa Society DAR with the beautiful State Regent’s pin in memory of her mother. This pin has been worn by all Iowa State Regents since that time.
Mrs. M.A. Tinley presented the Iowa Society DAR a gavel from the Council Bluffs Chapter with this interesting description "made of woods connected with the service of the Iowa Regiment." The wood of the handle is of native mahogany brought from the Philippines, the head is Texas mahogany from the Border Service, the long line of inlay is from the staff of a flag brought by a Belgian girl to greet the Iowa soldiers as they passed on their way to Germany. The short lines of inlay are part of a bracket from a castle on the Rhine, in which Iowa troops were stationed as a part of the Army of Occupation in WW II. The plate is from a shell exploded on the Iowa front in the Argonne.
A Chippendale side chair c. 1780 was donated to the Iowa Room that is located in Memorial Continental Hall in Washington, D.C. The chair is made of cherry wood and has a center splat of openwork with a shaped crest rail.  A worked brass inlay was used to ornament this piece. The chair was originally used in the Moravian Sisters Home at Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, after the Revolutionary War. Mrs. Vera Saunders Peak presented this chair in honor of her mother, Mrs. C.G. Saunders, Iowa State Regent, 1926 - 1928, and a member of the Council Bluffs Chapter.