||The Waubonsie Chapter, Daughters
of the American Revolution, was
organized October 12, 1914, with
Kate Evan Tharp elected as the
first chapter regent. There
were 24 charter members.
The Waubonsie Chapter is named
after Chief Waubonsie of the
Potawatomi tribe. In the
Indian treaty with the Iowa
government, he gave 5 million
acres of Potawatomi tribal lands
for the settlement in Iowa.
Chief Waubonsie, along with the
other Potawatomie Indians, lived
for a time in what became Mills
and Fremont County. He completed
his life in "Waubonsie Village,"
just north of the Fremont County
line and west of the present
town of Tabor.
The Waubonsie Chapter
has placed markers at locations in the
area signifying important events or
people in history.
Site of the
First School Building in Clarinda
In 1927, the
Waubonsie Chapter placed an engraved
plaque on a boulder on the campus of the
Middle School in Clarinda. This plaque
marked the first school building in
Clarinda, which was built in 1854 on
what is now the Middle School campus.
The 26th President, Theodore Roosevelt,
spoke here in 1903 during his term of
In 1954, the
Waubonsie Chapter placed a bronze plaque
inside the National Guard Armory in
tribute to Clarinda's hometown son,
Glenn Miller. The plaque proclaimed the
National Guard Armory would be
henceforth known as the Glenn Miller
Armory. This was in commemoration of his
patriotic response to his country's call
to arms during World War II and the
contributions to his world of music.
Miller lost his life in that war, and
the Armory was named as a monument to
the "man and his music." The
Armory is located at 701 East Washington
Street in Clarinda.
Tillman Loy - Daughter of a Patriot
Tillman Loy was born July 15,
1787, in Anderson County,
Virginia (now Tennessee), to
Tobias and Catherine (Sharp)
Tillman. She married Jacob
Loy in July 1804, in Campbell
County, Tennessee. She
died August 11, 1873, in
Clarinda, Iowa (Page County),
before DAR was formed.
was Tobias Tillman, who fought
in the Revolutionary War with
the North Carolina Militia,
under Captain William O'Neal's
"Company of Mounted Men."
He was also in Colonel Butler's
Regiment of the North Carolina
Line and served several short
tours as a Minute Man.
Chapter marked her grave site in
Phoebe Tillman Loy