The National Society Daughters of the
American Revolution (NSDAR or DAR) is a
non-profit, non-political, volunteer women's
service organization. The Revolutionary
Dames Chapter NSDAR was organized October 8,
1908, in Waverly, Iowa. The name,
Revolutionary Dames, was selected by the
chapter as being stately, dignified, and
indicative of our being descendants of the
patriots of the American Revolutionary War.
Barrick (Alias Fort John) Marker
In June 1854, at the time of an Indian
uprising near Spirit Lake, Iowa, Old Fort
Barrick was built by early settlers and John
T. Barrick who was the founder of the town
of Janesville. Fort Barrick's name was later
changed to Fort John, and the town of
Janesville was named in honor of John
Barrick's wife, Jane. The site was marked by
the Revolutionary Dames Chapter on June 21,
1913. The inscription is: "This marks the
site of Fort John built by the early
settlers at the time of the Indian scare
The marker is located in Janesville, Iowa.
From Waverly, drive 5 miles south on U.S.
Highway 218. Take the first exit and then
turn right. Go west to Main Street and then
turn left. The marker is on a native boulder
at the site of the old fort just north of
the post office at 226 Main Street.