Pilgrim Chapter has marked many historical sites in
the eastern Iowa area since 1898.
Sir William Blackstone: Located in the Iowa
City Courthouse, this portrait was marked by
Pilgrim Chapter in 1936. Sir William Blackstone
authored one of the most influential law books in
the history of English Law: Commentaries of
the Laws of England. The portrait was
painted by Isaac A. Weatherby, whose daughter,
Carrie, was a member of Pilgrim Chapter. This
painting was refurbished and rededicated at the
Court House 100th anniversary celebration in 1999.
In Memory of 5-year-old Cordelia Swan:
Cordelia Swan was the 5-year-old daughter of
Chauncey Swan, who was one of the founders of Iowa
City. Cordelia, who died September 19, 1839, is
believed to be the first child of settlers to die in
Iowa City. Pilgrim Chapter restored, marked, and
rededicated this marker on May 30, 1935.
Chauncey Swan Circle: In honor of Chauncey
Swan, who selected the site for Iowa City, this
marker is a bronze tablet on a boulder and was
presented to Iowa City on July 4, 1939, in honor
of Iowa City's Centennial Celebration as the
territorial capitol. It has been rededicated
several times, and happily, survived the flood of
1993. The boulder is located at the entrance to
The Old Limestone Shaft was
marked by both the State Society and Pilgrim
Chapter. This stone shaft stands on Summit Street
and was the boundary stone that located Iowa City
as the Capitol of Iowa Territory on May 4, 1839.
Pilgrim Chapter marked the stone on May 4, 1935,
placing a tablet on the north side of the shaft,
honoring M. Van Buren, President of the United
States, and R. Lucas, Governor of the Territory.
The Iowa Room, now part of
the DAR Museum in Memorial Continental Hall,
Washington, D.C., was marked by Pilgrim Chapter.
Site of the Mormon Handcart Brigade Camp: This
marker was placed by the Iowa Society DAR in 1936,
with members of Pilgrim Chapter present. In 1856,
this site was the end of the railroad line, so the
Mormon immigrants traveled from here to Salt Lake
City by foot. While at this site, the immigrants
built handcarts out of the native woods. With
these carts, adults could pull a 600-700 pound
load and cover about 15 miles per day.
This marker was moved into S.T. Morrison Park on
Fifth Street in Coralville, Iowa, near the
entrance and pond. After the marker was moved in
1998, it was rededicated by Nathaniel Fellows
Chapter, Iowa City, Iowa.
Markers - Not Pictured
In Springdale, Iowa, William Maxon's home was a
"Station" to hide escaping slaves as part of the Underground
Railroad. This site was marked in 1934 by
A bronze marker was placed on the grave of our Real Daughter,
Eliza Melvin Shrader.
A bronze tablet from the battleship "Maine,"
sunk in Havana Harbor, February 15, 1898, was
presented to the State Historical Society.
Photos courtesy of Sabrina