Join DAR

Chapter Meetings
Chapter Officers

Chapter Patriots

Contact Us

Iowa DAR
National DAR




The Glenwood Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution was organized March 14, 1913. 


The first officers were: Miss Emma Kellogg, Regent; Janet Record Pike, Vice Regent; Bess French, Secretary; Laura Plimpton, Treasurer; Lila H. Woodruff, Historian; and Nelle S. Bogart, Registrar. The chapter received their charter September 22, 1913.



Through the years the Glenwood Chapter has built a strong community outreach with the annual American History Essay contest and recognition of the DAR Good Citizens. The Good Citizen award winners are chosen on the basis of leadership, dependability, service and patriotism.  Four schools in the area participate in the contest.


 We currently have one member serving the Iowa Society DAR. Pat Curtis is State Constitution Chairman.



The Glenwood Chapter has dedicated two historical markers. The first marker was erected in the spring of 1952 honoring and commemorating the early trails across Mills County which included the U.S. Dragoons, Mormons, and stagecoach trails. Edwin Carter graciously donated a plot of land on Highway 275 east of Glenwood. The marker was placed on a granite stone which is a native stone from St. Mary's Township. In 2002, the marker was moved to Glenwood Lake Park and rededicated in its new location.


Early Trails Marker




The second marker was placed at the Pioneer Log Cabin, which was the home of Jacob and Valeria Wortman in 1856. The cabin is located near the library in Malvern, Iowa.


              Pioneer Log Cabin                                      Pioneer Log Cabin Marker


When Jacob and Valeria Elliott Wortman and family came to Mills County in 1856, they settled on a claim of about 400 acres that they had bought in the South Grove neighborhood of Deer Creek Township. The family built a small cabin out of walnut logs which was about 17 by 18 feet in size. It had a loft to provide additional sleeping space since six of their eleven children, ages 5 to 12, were with them. It had a stick-and-mud fireplace.


This cabin, including most of the original logs, was given to Allen Wortman by Sherman Wortman in 1936, who then owned the family farm. It was restored and relocated to Paddock Park in Malvern.


Grave Markers

Matilda "Hattie" Hanks Utterback Anthony was born December 10, 1788 to Abner  and Mary Dale Hanks in Culpepper County Virginia. Abner Hanks, like his father John, was a Revolutionary War Soldier. He enlisted in the Revolutionary Army in April 1780. He was a Private who served three months in Captain George Harrison's Virginia company and three months in Captain George Sissons Virginia company. Hattie married Benjamin Utterback November 28, 1808 in Woodford Co., Kentucky. They had 12 children.  Benjamin died in 1848 and in 1856 Hattie married Nicholas Anthony. They had no children. Hattie died May 5, 1863. She is buried at the Waubonsie Cemetery in Mills County, Iowa.  A DAR marker was placed at her grave site in 2005 by the David City Chapter, from David City, Nebraska,  with the help of the Glenwood Chapter.


Real Granddaughter

Miss Emma Leora Kellogg was born March 23, 1834 to Rev. Edward Kellogg and Betsey W. Eastman.  She was a schoolteacher for the Glenwood school in the late 1800's. Emma applied for membership February 11, 1913, and was the Glenwood Chapter's Organizing Regent when the chapter was organized on March 14, 1913.


Emma' grandfather, Ezekiel Kellogg of New Salem, Mass.  He held a commission in the Massachusetts Militia 20 years, being Major nine years.  He was a Revolutionary soldier and pensioner.  On his application for pension he says that he removed from New Salem, Mass to Bath, NH, 1808 thence to Lyman and in 1815 to Littleton.  On receipt of the intelligence of the conflict at Lexington, the Company of Minutemen to which he belonged was ordered to Boston, where he remained until the eight months enlistments were organized when he returned home.


In August 1776 he was one of the eight men sent from his native town to Boston to assist in building and repairing forts, batteries etc, around the harbor, particularly on Castle Island where the fortifications had been destroyed when the British evacuated the city, March 17th.


In July 1777, when Burgoyne advanced from Canada, Gen. Schuyler appealed to his own State and New England for re-enforcements.  About forty men enlisted under Capt. Ebenezer Goodrich to join the Northern Army of which company he was orderly sergeant.  After reaching the field of operations they were employed in scouting around Forts Ann and Miller and the surrounding Country.  They were in the action of Oct 7, 1777, after which the regiment was ordered to take possession of Fort Edward in order to cast off the retreat of Burgoyne, in which movement they had quite an engagement with a body of Indians and Canadians.  After the surrender of Burgoyne he returned home.


He was Justice of the Peace twenty-one years in New Salem and represented that town in the Legislature seven years.


Sources:  “The Kelloggs in the Old World, and the New” by Timothy Hopkins, 

Member of the New England Historical Society.

Mass Soldiers and Sailors in the Rev.  Vol IX, page 59









Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.
Site last updated 2 August 2012 Contact the Webmaster.