DAR logo
      


Glenwood Chapter DAR
Glenwood, Iowa


Home Join DAR Membership in DAR Chapter Officers Chapter Meetings Patriot Ancestors Historic Markers Contact Us Iowa Society DAR National Society DAR


Historic Markers

The Glenwood Chapter has dedicated two historical markers:

marker marker

The first marker was erected in the spring of 1952, honoring and commemorating the early trails across Mills County, which included the U.S. Dragoons, Mormons, and stagecoach trails. Edwin Carter graciously donated a plot of land on Highway 275, east of Glenwood. The marker was placed on a granite stone which is a native stone from St. Mary's Township.

In 2002, the marker was moved to Glenwood Lake Park and rededicated in its new location.
The second marker was placed at the pioneer log cabin, which was the home of Jacob and Valeria Wortman in 1856.

cabin

cabin markerWhen Jacob and Valeria Elliott Wortman and family came to Mills County in 1856, they settled on a claim of about 400 acres, that they had bought in the South Grove neighborhood of Deer Creek Township. The family built a small cabin out of walnut logs, which was about 17 by 18 feet in size. It had a loft to provide additional sleeping space, since six of their eleven children, ages 5 to 12, were with them. It had a stick-and-mud fireplace.

In 1936, this cabin, including most of the original logs, was given to Allen Wortman by Sherman Wortman, who then owned the family farm. It was restored and relocated to Paddock Park in Malvern.

Matilda's marker

Grave Markers

Matilda "Hattie" Hanks Utterback Anthony was born on December 10, 1788, to Abner and Mary Dale Hanks in Culpepper County, Virginia.  Abner Hanks, like his father John, was a Revolutionary War soldier. He enlisted in the Revolutionary Army in April 1780. He was a private, who served three months in Captain George Harrison's Virginia Company and three months in Captain George Sisson's Virginia Company.

Hattie married Benjamin Utterback on November 28, 1808, in Woodford County, Kentucky. They had 12 children.  Benjamin died in 1848 and in 1856 Hattie married Nicholas Anthony. They had no children. Hattie died May 5, 1863. She is buried at the Waubonsie Cemetery in Mills County, Iowa.  A DAR marker was placed at her gravesite in 2005, by the David City Chapter, from David City, Nebraska,  with the help of the Glenwood Chapter.  Hattie was a "real daughter" of a patriot of the Revolutionary War, but she was not a member of DAR.

Real Granddaughter

Miss Emma Leora Kellogg was born on March 23, 1834, to Rev. Edward Kellogg and Betsey W. Eastman.  She was a schoolteacher for the Glenwood School in the late 1800s. Emma applied for membership in DAR on February 11, 1913, and was the Glenwood Chapter's organizing regent when the chapter was organized on March 14, 1913.

Emma's marker

Emma's grandfather was Ezekiel Kellogg of New Salem, Massachusetts.  He held a commission in the Massachusetts Militia for 20 years, being Major for nine years.  He was a Revolutionary War soldier and pensioner.  On his application for a pension, he stated that he had moved from New Salem, Massachusetts, to Bath, New Hampshire. Later he moved to Lyman, and finally settled in Littleton in 1815.  On receipt of the intelligence of the conflict at Lexington, the Company of Minutemen, to which he belonged, was ordered to Boston, where he remained through his eight months enlistment, and then he returned home.

In August 1776, he was one of the eight men, sent from his native town to Boston to assist in building and repairing forts, cannon batteries, etc, around the harbor, particularly on Castle Island, where the fortifications had been destroyed when the British evacuated the city, March 17, 1776.

In July 1777, when Burgoyne advanced from Canada, General Schuyler appealed to his own state and New England for re-enforcements.  About forty men enlisted, under Captain Ebenezer Goodrich, to join the Northern Army of which company he was an orderly sergeant.  After reaching the field of operations, they were employed in scouting around Forts Ann and Miller and the surrounding country.  They were in the action of October 7, 1777, after which the regiment was ordered to take possession of Fort Edward, in order to cast off the retreat of Burgoyne, at which time they had quite an engagement with a body of Indians and Canadians.  After the surrender of Burgoyne he returned home.

He was Justice of the Peace for twenty-one years in New Salem and represented that town in the legislature for seven years.

Sources: 
“The Kelloggs in the Old World, and the New,” by Timothy Hopkins, a member of the New England Historical Society.

"Mass Soldiers and Sailors in the Revolution," Volume IX, page 5.



The content contained herein does not necessarily represent the position of the NSDAR.
Hyperlinks to other sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.

Last Updated 22 November 2016
Contact Webmaster
VIS
                                Approval
Connect with the National Society
facebook  twitter  youtube