DAR logo

Sun Dial Chapter NSDAR
Ames, Iowa

Home Join DAR Membership in DAR Chapter Officers Chapter Meetings Patriot Ancestors Contact Us Iowa Society DAR
National Society DAR

Welcome to Sun Dial Chapter NSDAR

The National Society Daughters of the American Revolution (NSDAR or DAR) is a non-profit, non-political, volunteer women's service organization. The Sun Dial Chapter NSDAR was organized on October 7, 1907, by Mrs. Anson Marston. The name of the chapter was suggested by Hattie Willey, a member who possessed a sun dial that was the property of Mr. Willey's paternal ancestor, the Elder William Brewster, beloved pastor of the Plymouth Colony.

Duplicate Sun Dial of Plymouth Colony

A duplicate of the Plymouth Colony sun dial was marked by the Sun Dial Chapter NSDAR in 1907 and is proudly displayed on a pedestal in the patriotic area of the Ames Municipal Cemetery at East 9th Street and Maxwell Avenue.

There are several historic areas in Ames, Iowa, home of the Sun Dial Chapter NSDAR.
These historic areas have been marked by the chapter so they will not be forgotten in years to come.

Site of First House in Ames

East Ames was settled before Iowa State College (now Iowa State University) or "west" Ames. The first house built was just one block north of today’s Main Street. Noah and Matilda Webster built their house here in 1864. This site was marked by the Sun Dial Chapter NSDAR, in 1934, with an inscribed bronze plaque affixed to a large boulder. You can find the plaque in Ames, Iowa, on the corner of 5th Street and Douglas Avenue.
Site of First House in “West” Ames marker

In 1856 or 1858, Washington J. Graham built the first house close to the Ames campus area, or “west” Ames. In 1855 he had received a U.S. Government Land Patent and was influential in acquiring land for the Iowa Agricultural College and Model Farm – now Iowa State University. The restored house was moved in 1951 from its original Lincoln Way/Sheldon site to 216 Hayward Avenue, also in west Ames. In the 1990s, it was replaced with an apartment building to better serve the housing market. The Sun Dial Chapter NSDAR marked the original site July 4, 1976, in commemoration of the American Revolution Bicentennial. The plaque is located in west Ames, on the southeast corner of Lincoln Way and Sheldon Avenue.

Gravestone of Caroline Collins Brammer

Marked by the Sun Dial Chapter NSDAR in 1929, this plaque was placed on the gravestone of Caroline Collins Brammer, granddaughter of American Revolutionary War soldier Josiah Collins. The plaque and gravestone are located in the Dedham Cemetery in rural Carroll County.

The photographs on this page were taken by member Susan Harris.

The content contained herein does not necessarily represent the position of the NSDAR.
Hyperlinks to other sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.

Last Updated: 27 January 2017
Contact webmaster
Connect with the National Society
facebook  twitter  youtube