The Spinning Wheel
DAR Chapter was chartered December 20,
1898, and Marshalltown Chapter DAR was
chartered February 3, 1903. The two
chapters merged on March 6, 1964, as
Spinning Wheel Chapter.
The chapter first
selected the name "Dorothy Quincy" for
no particular reason, but when it was
sent in, were informed there was already
a chapter by that name. The
husband of Mrs. Elizabeth Root Spears
suggested "Spinning Wheel" and it was
unanimously adopted, simply because the
chapter liked it. The spinning
wheel was a common hand or foot-driven
tool in the colonial era which helped
spin yarn or thread.
where the chapter resides, was so named
because it was nearest the center of the
county of Marshall, and said county was
named Marshall in the year 1849 in honor
of John Marshall, Fourth Chief Justice
of the United States.
approximately five miles northwest of
Marshalltown, became the first county
seat of Marshall County in 1851. After
several elections and court battles,
Marshall (now Marshalltown) became the
county seat and on December 31, 1859,
the records from the courthouse in
Marietta were brought to Marshalltown.
The old courthouse in Marietta was later
moved to Marshalltown and served as a
store and residence. The Spinning Wheel
Chapter DAR marked the old courthouse
site on June 14, 1976, with an inscribed
bronze plaque mounted on a native
stone. The marker is located in
the south segment of Timmons Grove
County Park located on State Highway
330, approximately 2 miles south of
Site of First
Log Cabin in Marshalltown
In 1851, Henry Anson
built the first log cabin home in
Marshall - now known as Marshalltown.
Anson was one of those residents who was
active in the effort of getting the
county seat moved from Marietta to
Marshall. The site where his log cabin
stood was marked with an inscribed
bronze plaque by the Spinning Wheel
Chapter. The marker is located in
Marshall County at 112 West Main Street
in Marshalltown, Iowa. A bronze plate on
the wall between the Shallmar Restaurant
and a jewelry store marks the site where
the old log cabin once stood.
American Legion Building
Frank Lewis Glick,
the son of a Marshalltown businessman,
was killed at Belleau Woods, France, in
World War I. As a memorial, the American
Legion building in Marshalltown was
named in his honor. The Spinning Wheel
Chapter DAR placed a bronze tablet with
an engraved inscription inside the
American Legion building on May 18,
The William C.
Ruddick log cabin was built around 1856.
The Spinning Wheel Chapter DAR selected
the cabin as a symbol honoring the
pioneers who came to Marshall County.
The site was marked June 8, 1996.
The cabin and marker are approximately
15 miles northwest of
Marshalltown. From Marshalltown,
drive west on either Summit Street or
West Main Street to State Highway 330.
Turn right on State Highway 330 and
drive north to County Road E-29. Turn
left (west) and drive about 4 1/2 miles,
then turn right (north) on County Road
S-52 and drive another 4 miles to County
Road E-23. Turn right onto a gravel road
and drive east less than a mile to
Mormon Ridge Road. The Ruddick log cabin
is in the southeast intersection.
Iowa State Regent
Home, and Country"
the Past, Enhance the
Present, Invest in the
- 2016 State Theme
to Encourage Lifelong
2014 - 2016 Scripture
"An intelligent heart
acquires knowledge, and
the ear of the wise