The Pilot Rock Chapter
DAR was organized July 16, 1917, at
the home of the organizing regent,
Mrs. Stiles. The chapter
name was taken from the local Pilot
Rock site where a red quartzite
boulder served as a landmark on the
Our chapter is proud
that we are able to give several
scholarships each year thanks to the
gift of money that we received from a
deceased member. We give 5 -
$200 scholarships to graduating
seniors of the 5 area schools.
We also give $250 a year (up to $1000
max) to our descendants for attending
any post-high school educational
facility. Members are able to
get up to $1000 maximum to be used for
educational purposes also.
Other activities include:
Constitution Week with displays in
various public places and
declarations signed by the area
Donate $100 each
year to one of the 5 surrounding
schools to be used to purchase
Collect money for
the DAR schools and also items to
be sent to Bacone College.
Collect and send needed items to our
soldiers in Iraq.
Sent money to the Iowa Veterans
Deliver boxes of goodies to
veterans at the Cherokee Mental
Health Institute and 5 area nursing
Support the Mary Bailey Potter
Children of the American Revolution
Society. The C.A.R. Society is
asked to carry the flags at our
February awards day program.
Lay a wreath at the Oak Hill
Cemetery in Cherokee on Memorial Day
with the help of the local C.A.R.
chapter is currently working on
directory locator boards to be placed at
several cemeteries in Cherokee County.
The Pilot Rock Chapter has placed two
DAR markers at area landmarks.
|The Pilot Rock
lookout is 3 miles south of
Cherokee, Iowa, on US Highway 59
and Pilot Rock Road. A red
quartzite boulder of the Ice Age
was left by the recession of the
last glacier and serves as a
landmark on the prairie. It guided
Indians, early settlers, and
pioneers during the settlement and
development of Northwestern Iowa.
The "rock" is 14 feet in height
and has a circumference of 180
feet. The Pilot Rock Chapter
placed a marker at the site in
Pilot Rock Lookout
The Pilot Rock Chapter also placed a
marker at the site of the Old Cherokee
Fort. It is located in the
northeast side of Cherokee. The old
Cherokee Fort was built by soldiers in
1856 to protect the Milford Colonists
from the attacks of Inkapaduta and Sioux
Indians. It had a well, a blockhouse
from which the pioneers could shoot in
all directions, and several buildings in
which the pioneers could stay during an
attack - or longer if necessary. When
there was no more need for such
protection, the blockhouse was used for
parties and finally torn down in 1921.
There are no buildings left on the
Iowa State Regent
Home, and Country"
the Past, Enhance the
Present, Invest in the
- 2016 State Theme
to Encourage Lifelong
2014 - 2016 Scripture
"An intelligent heart
acquires knowledge, and
the ear of the wise