Oskaloosa-Mary Marion Chapter was
formed March 2006 as a result of the
Marion Mary Chapter and the Oskaloosa
The Mary Marion
Chapter, organized July 18, 1911, was
named after Mary Marion, the wife of
General Frances Marion, a
Revolutionary War hero.
Mrs. Dixie Cornell Gebhardt,
organizing secretary, became the
designer of the Iowa State Flag.
It was this flag that was finally
designated the official flag of the
state of Iowa almost 75 years after
her official design. The
original design, in
crayon, is on display in the
Marion County courthouse.
It is definitely something
Chapter was organized on November
22nd, 1927 and was approved on
September 30, 1930. The
first Regent of the Oskaloosa Chapter
was Mrs. Owen Jones who served from
1927 - 1929.