The Marion-Linn Chapter DAR was organized
April, 18, 1928. Mary Hollingsworth was
organizing regent, then served as regent, and
later became honorary regent. The chapter was
named in honor of two famous men, General
Francis Marion, a Revolutionary War hero, "The
Swamp Fox," and Dr. Louis Linn, a beloved
The following officers were appointed by the
- Vice Regent, Miss Daniels
- Recording Secretary, Nellie Lothian
- Corresponding Secretary, Bertha Owen
- Treasurer, Alberta K. Sigfred
- Historian, Anna Hewitt
- Registrar, Mary L. Parkurst
- Chaplain, Ida G. Bowman
- Press Correspondent, Grace Christie
The Marion-Linn Chapter was the first chapter
to donate to the Iowa Period Room in Memorial
Continental Hall in Washington, D.C.
In 1988, when the Francis Shaw Chapter in
Anamosa, Iowa, disbanded, many of the members
joined the Marion-Linn Chapter. The following is
a history of the Francis Shaw Chapter:
The Francis Shaw Chapter, DAR was organized
in October 1899 and was one of the first
chapters west of the Mississippi River.
Through the efforts of Helen L. Shaw and other
ladies whom she inspired with her enthusiasm,
an active group was formed. During the first
meeting, the chapter name of "Francis Shaw"
The Shaws were prominent in the early history
of the thirteen colonies during the American
Revolution. Francis Shaw, Sr., received a
large parcel of land near Gouldboro, Maine.
His son, Francis Shaw, Jr., resided most of
the time in Boston and was active during the
Revolutionary War by securing the help of the
Indians for the colonies. He rose from the
rank of captain to major and finally to
The chapter organized with a membership of
twenty-seven, with Miss Shaw elected regent.
It was an office she held for seven years. The
chapter was a social and literary
organization, however, in 1900, it slowly
changed to an organization of an opportunity
to work for a worthy project appealed to every
Largely through the fundraising efforts of
the Francis Shaw Chapter DAR, the Anamosa
Public Library was built. The total cost of
the building was $11,000.00, and was opened to
the public on August 1, 1903.
The building today still stands and is used
as the local police station.