Jean Espy chapter was organized
November 14, 1901, and their charter
was granted January 19, 1902.
Madison Chapter, Daughters of the
American Revolution, was named for
Jean Espy, heroic great-grandmother
of the Revolutionary period, who
molded bullets, baked
"corn-dodgers," and tended the
wounded while the young women
handled the guns at McClure's Fort,
in North Cumberland County.
She had twenty-one descendants
serving in the Revolution.
This chapter has had five
descendants of the Espy family as
Over the years, the members of the
Jean Espy DAR Chapter have placed
three markers to help preserve
the side of Mississippi River Road
just off US Highway 61, about 1/3
mile north of Montrose in Lee
Kalawequios was an Indian princess
of the Sac and Fox tribe. Her
grave is marked by a bronze
inscribed plaque mounted on a
granite boulder near a gated
driveway. She died in 1837.
Ft. Madison in Lee County at 4th
Street and Avenue H.
Ft. Madison, a military post, was
built in 1808 but had a life of
only 10 years. In 1813 it
was evacuated and burned by the
garrison. In 1908, a Lone
Chimney monument with a bronze
tablet was erected on the site
where the old fort stood. On
September 24, 1988, it was
rededicated, commemorating the
100th anniversary of Old Fort
the entrance of the Cattermole
Memorial Library at 614 7th
Street, Fort Madison. This is the
second plaque for the USS Maine in
USS Maine was an American
battleship that was sunk while
anchored in Havana Harbor.
In 1916, the Secretary of the Navy
gave this plaque to honor the men
who went down with the ship.