The Candle-Stick Chapter was organized February 21, 1908. The
chapter was named for an article, the candlestick, much in use
in Colonial days. With our name, it is a reminder of home life in
The Candle-Stick Chapter has placed markers at significant historic
sites in Franklin County.
First Cabin in Franklin County
The Candle-Stick Chapter marked the site of the first cabin that was built in Franklin
County in 1852 by James Reeve, John Mayne, and Addison
Phelps, the "men-folk" of pioneers searching for a home-site in the
area. They built the cabin as a refuge from the approaching winter.
Only Reeve and the Mayne family lived there for two winters while
the men hunted elk and buffalo and trapped beaver.
To locate the marker, go 1 1/4 miles east of US Highway 65 on 105th
Street (Geneva Blacktop). Turn left at the long lane. The marker is
located in the farmer's yard near the light pole.
Site of First Franklin
County School House
The Candle-Stick Chapter erected a marker that shows the site of the
first school in Franklin County, which was built in 1855. Miss
Octavia Smith, a young girl in her teens, taught in this school in
Reeves Township. Also in this area are the first burial grounds in
the county. The location of the marker is 1 mile east of U.S.
Highway 65 south of Hampton on 105th Street (Geneva Blacktop). Go
1/4 mile north on Quail Ave. to the farm lane. The cemetery is
to the right and the marker is near the curve on the right side of
Campsite of First
Settlers in Franklin County
A plaque marks the campsite of the first settlers of Franklin
County. They arrived in the area in October 1852 and camped in a
grove in what is now Mallory Park. The site is 275 paces southeast
of the large granite boulder with the engraved plaque. To
locate the marker, go 5 miles south of Hampton on U.S. Highway 65.
Turn right on 95th Street. Go west to the Mallory Park entrance.
Walk north across the bridge. Follow Hickory Trail about 1/4
A Centennial Tree:
Planted in 1876
A European Larch tree was planted in 1876 by a pioneer Hampton
school teacher. Known as the "Centennial Tree," it was marked as
dedicated on July 4, 1976, while still a flourishing, healthy tree.
The marker is located in Hampton, Iowa, on the north
side of the Franklin County Courthouse lawn a half block east of 1st
St. NE on 1st Ave. NW.
Hampton's First Resident
The first resident of Hampton was Job Garner in 1854. His cabin site
was marked by the Candle-Stick Chapter in 1927 with an inscribed
tablet mounted on a granite boulder. The third preaching service in
the county was also located at that site a year later. The marker is
located on the northeast corner of 4th Avenue, NW, and 3rd Street, NW,
in Hampton, Iowa.
First Post Office, First
Store Site in Franklin County
A historical marker was placed by the Candle-Stick Chapter in 1922 to
indicate where the town of Maysville stood in 1856. The first post
office in Franklin County was opened here on July 24, 1856, and
closed 34 years later. Sixteen postmasters served at the post
office during that time. Only 150 people lived in Maysville
but they had a schoolhouse, hotel, two stores, and a steam saw mill.
The first store in the county was opened in 1853 by Dr. T. H. Baker
in his home a half-mile east of the schoolhouse. To view the
marker, go to the junction of State Highway 3 and U.S. Highway 65,
and go five miles south to 95th Street. Turn left a half mile.
Site of 1857 Hotel
Abner S. Ross, the first postmaster in the little town of Chapin in
north central Franklin County, built a hotel there in 1857 named the
Chapin Ross House Hotel. He ran it until 1875. At their 1972
Centennial, the town of Chapin erected a historical marker at the
old hotel site and the Candle-Stick Chapter dedicated the marker in
The Old Stone House
In 1853, Leander Reeve and James Reeve broke 10 acres of native prairie before returning to Ohio for their families. In 1854, Leander Reeve built a house of native limestone. It remained a family home through the 1950/s. After this, the empty house deteriorated until restored by “Friends of the Old House” in 1978-1985. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
On September 12, 2009 the Candle-Stick Chapter NSDAR and the Franklin County Historical Society placed a marker on the grounds and a dedication was held by the Candle-Stick Chapter. The Old Stone House is located 4 miles south of Hampton on Highway 65 and 2 miles east on 105th St. (C-47).
Iowa State Regent
"God, Home, and Country"
“Preserve the Past, Enhance the
Present, Invest in the Future.”
2012 - 2014 State Theme
Hands of Friendship
Working Together to Build Membership
"Be ye strong therefore, and let not your hands be weak, for your work
shall be rewarded."
2 Corinthians 15.7